One of the rampant problems in today’s society is the increase of students dropping off from school and children who did not have a chance to pursue their education due to numerous reasons. This is the problem that the Philippine Educational Placement Test (PEPT) under the Accreditation and Equivalency Program (EO No. 733, s.1981) aims to address.
Under the PEPT, out-of-school youth will be encouraged to be placed back in the formal school system if so desired. Meanwhile, adults who were unable to attend formal education can take advantage of the equivalency exam to have knowledge and skills they acquired through informal and non-formal means be validated and accredited in order to re-enter formal school, qualify for a job promotion, to enter a job training or for employment.
The PEPT can be taken by Filipino citizens who meet the following qualifications:
• dropouts (out-of-school) from the elementary and the secondary schools for at least one (1) year
• overage in-school children/youth by at least one year of their actual grade level
• never attended a formal school but can read and write
• presently employed and in need of upgrading their academic level (elem./sec.) for re-entry into formal school, job entry, job promotion and self-fulfillment
If you are interested to take the PEPT, here are the documents that you need to prepare:
• Birth certificate: Issued by the National Statistics Office (NSO) or Local Civil Registrar duly authenticated (original and two (2) photocopies)
• ID pictures: Two (2) pieces of identical and recently taken (1×1″ size)
• School records (original and two (2) photocopies):
o Elementary Level – Form 137 or Form 138
o Secondary Level – Form 137
*Form 137 (Transcript of Records with school seal and signature of principal/registrar)
*Form 138 (Report Card with school seal and signature of principal/registrar)
• School permit: Photocopy of School Permit to Operate/Government Recognition (for applicants from private schools)
You would also need to pay a registration fee which is Php50 for regular administration or Php200 for walk-in/special administration.
This year’s Nationwide PEPT will be conducted on the following dates and venues:
NOVEMBER 19, 2017 – LUZON
NOVEMBER 26, 2017 – VISAYAS AND MINDANAO
You need to register at submit your required documets at the nearest Division Office from August 1 to September 30
Source: DepEd Memorandum No. 162, s.2017
Meanwhile, the examination is administered from January to December at the National Education Testing and Research Center. Test Takers can personally register at the Test Administration Division, NETRC 2nd Floor, Mabini Bldg., DepED Complex, Meralco Avenue, Pasig City.
If you are taking the PEPT for Elementary Level, the scope of the exams is Science, Mathematics, Araling Panlipunan, Filipino, and English.
The coverage for PEPT Secondary Level is as follows;
• ENGLISH – Reading Comprehension, Vocabulary Development, Writing Composition, Literature (Philippine, Asian and World), Grammar Awareness
• SCIENCE – General Science, Biology, Chemistry, Physics
• MATHEMATICS – Numbers and Number Sense, Measurement, Geometry, Patterns and Algebra, Statistics and Probability
• FILIPINO – Gramatika, Panitikan (Ibong Adarna, Florante at Laura, Noli Me Tangere, El Filibusterismo)
• ARALING PANLIPUNAN – Araling Asyano, Kasaysayan ng Daigdig, Ekonomiks
You need to pass all five subjects to qualify or be accredited to a specific grade level. The Certificate of Rating (COR) will be issued from February to March for Nationwide Testing and are sent to Division Offices. Walk-in Examiners can pick up their COR at the NETRC two weeks after the exam.
Source: DepEd Online